Online ESL Help Resource Center
Learning English as a second language can sometimes be a little confusing. Most of the rules of spelling, pronunciation and grammar tend to be quite regular, but there are always a few that differ. With some practice, you can soon get the hang of it though! Explore the resources below for help in some common problem areas of English as a new language.
ESL Organizations and Associations
- TESOL – TESOL is a worldwide organization of around 52,000 teachers and a number of ESL publications and resources.
- IATEFL – IATEFL, an international organization, is the host of an annual conference on ESL and related subjects, as well as the publisher of a bi-monthly magazine.
- ACTFL – Based in the U.S., ACTFL aims to improve education standards of English and other foreign languages.
- NAFSA – Operating globally, NAFSA is a non-profit organization that focuses on education on an international level.
- NCTE – The NCTE operates throughout the U.S. and works towards raising the standards of English education and literacy.
Resources for Help with Pronunciation
- Lessons on English Pronunciation – Learn about common English pronunciation rules step by step with this series of well-designed online lessons.
- A Guide to Teaching Pronunciation – ESL teachers can benefit from a quick refresher on the main points of teaching English pronunciation, with some helpful links at the end.
- American English Speech – A beautifully illustrated interactive Flash presentation allows ESL students to navigate and learn pronunciation rules at their own pace.
- English Pronunciation Errors – Choose your native tongue and learn about common errors that native speakers of that language make when speaking English.
- Phonetic Pronunciations – Listen to audio files while following along with the corresponding written phonetic pronunciations of each word.
- Diphtongs and Triphtongs Lessons – Learn to differentiate between different lengths of vowels.
- Pronunciation of Names and Places – Pick from a number of commonly used names in entertainment, pop culture, sports, politics and more to hear the correct pronunciation.
- Video Pronunciation Lessons – Each unit in this online series offers a new video explanation of important English pronunciation lessons.
- Commonly Confused Sounds – Learn how to pronounce different words that tend to sound very similar to foreigners.
Resources for Help with Grammar
- ESL Grammar Quizzes – Review the grammar notes on this page and then try out the accompanying quizzes.
- English Grammar Handouts – ESL teachers and print and distribute worksheets by browsing through this comprehensive list of English grammar sections.
- English Grammar Lessons – Pick an area of grammar to study and follow along with the lessons in each section.
- Grammar Exercises for ESL Students – Fill in the answers to these grammar exercises online and immediately generate your test score and the right answers.
- English Grammar Study Units – There are plenty of resources here for both ESL students, such as how to diagram sentences, as well as teaching units for educators.
- Grammar Resources for Students – Choose your skill level and find appropriate grammar sites and activities based on that criteria.
- Hyper Grammar – Study English grammar in a non-linear fashion by exploring the hyperlinks scattered throughout the definitions and explanations.
- Grammar Activities – Have some fun with English grammar with these online activities and quizzes.
- ESL Grammar Links – Find plenty of help with grammar among these in-depth grammar lessons and exercises.
Resources for Help with Vocabulary
- ESL Vocabulary Games – Play some fun online games and brush up on English vocabulary in the process!
- ESL Vocabulary Practice – Try out these online vocabulary exercises and get immediate test scores to see how well you did.
- Test Your Vocabulary – How well can you score in this online vocabulary game? Don’t forget to request a hint if you need it.
- Vocabulary for ESL Students – A host of lesson plans, vocabulary word lists, puzzles and preparation guides for tests will help ESL students to gain a better understanding of English vocabulary.
- Vocabulary for Beginners – Learn basic vocabulary words through a series of illustrated lessons and exercises.
- English Slang – Understand colloquially spoken English better by reviewing this guide on common English slang.
- English Idioms – This illustrated guide to English jargon and idioms helps ESL students to understand informal English easily.
- Connect with English – Improve your vocabulary with this video series about a young singer traveling across the U.S.
- Practical Vocabulary – Learn English vocabulary with these study units based on real-life situations such as dating, movies and travel.
Additional ESL Resources
- ESL America – Choose from lessons on grammar, reading, vocabulary and more, and enjoy audio samples with each section.
- ESL Resource Center – Plenty of ESL resources have been provided for free by qualified ESL educators, for both adults and children.
- ESL at Work and School – Learn about culture and common practices in English-speaking countries.
- ESL Podcasts – Tune in regularly for new podcasts featuring different social situations that students may encounter.
- American Dialects – Don’t let regional accents confuse you with this online audio bank of local American dialects.
- ESL Audio Lab – Practice listening and speaking along with these audio samples and then work through the handouts provided online.
- Practice Speaking English – Enjoy fiction and poetry online with this award-winning audio language lab.
- English Study Zone – Choose the level that you are most comfortable at and proceed to practice with several grammar, listening and writing lessons.
- American Pronunciation – Learn about proper American English pronunciation with these free online listening exercises.